Saturday, October 13, 2012

No Substitute Will Do!

We have been lucky enough to have a couple of really great babysitters over the past year. And aside from the one who simply disappeared, we have felt really good about the people we leave the kids (3 and 18mos) with each week.
With all of that being said, after the importance of safety comes the importance of following the kid's routines consistently and making them feel as though this night is like any other only with the addition of their "friend," the babysitter, putting them to bed rather than mom and dad.
 So last night our sitter seemed to have a bit of a memory lapse when it came to the fundamentals of bedtime for my babies, and as I was laying awake at 4, 5, and 6am I realized that she really holds our entire household's chance for a good nights sleep in her hands. I realized that even with the smallest misstep the s**t hits the fan.
When we first got home, our sitter of course said everything went well and the kids went to bed without complaint. I went upstairs to check on them and when I got to my daughter's room I found her in The Wrong Bed!! I can undertand maybe forgetting the sound machine or leaving up the shades, but the wrong bed? She has a twin bed in her room along with her toddler bed and she was randomly in the twin bed. Oh ya, and her blankie was downstairs on the couch and there was a different blanket next to her. I'm sure for those of you whose children are not attached to a specific stuffed animal or blanket think it sounds ridiculous, but I knew that my daughter was going to wake up completly disoriented and basically with a stranger in her bed; the foreign blankie.

 Okay so we go to bed after ranting for a bit, only to be woken up at 4am by my son. I see that he is soaking wet, as is his bed. After changing everything I go to lay him back down and realize...where are blankie and Monks?? These are my son's two best buddies in the world and suddeny I find myself half awake searching in the basement for these guys.
 Clearly everyone's sleep was very disrupted, everyone woke up very early and then spent today being extrememly cranky.
 I think ultimately what I learned over the past 24hrs is that no matter how much someone cares for your children or how much time they spend together, they will most likely not crawl through the ball pit looking for a monkey, or pull off some Macgyver moves to change bedding and pjs without turning on a light.
And what does all of this boil down to? The fact that there really is no substitue for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment