Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Reflux Generation

I have begun to notice that reflux is the new "in" diagnosis for babies. More than half
of the babies I visit have reflux to some degree. And even those families who have not formally received the diagnosis, suspect that their baby is suffering from this painful burning condition. Parents have now become so concerned with any bit of spit up that leaves their child's mouth, it has become yet another anxiety on the road of parenting an infant.
 As the parent of a baby who was diagnosed with reflux, I completely understand the difficulties it can bring. It is incredibly hard to listen to your baby grunt and cry while they try to digest they're previous meal. However, I have noticed that most parents, including myself, who have given their baby one of the many medication options, really don't know if the meds are what helped their baby get releif. There are so many formula options, suggestions for breastfeeding moms and special diets for toddlers, that how can you really know if your baby needs those drops twice a day?
Even with the grunting and my son's extended belly I wish that I had been offered all of the other solutions out there. I was never told that there are certain solids I could be offering my baby that would digest faster or that a smoothie would help my little one keep down his dinner through the night. I did not know until much later that babies with reflux sleep better on their bellies and that thickening the formula with cereal can help a baby belly. Doctors are just so quick to say, "which pharmacy should I send it to?" you don't even have the chance to get all the details and alternatives. Luckily most of us moms know to do some of our own research along the way, it would just be nice to know that we have heard all of our options when we talk to the professionals, not just handed  the bottle of elixir, that has yet to get a real stamp of approval from many of the moms I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment